Content creator, team leader and communicator
Tampa, Florida • 813-340-4716 • firstname.lastname@example.org
I help smart companies inform consumers with excellent content that educates, entertains and drives results. I’m an audience-focused media professional who combines editorial expertise, marketing sensibilities and business acumen to influence content quality and lead creative teams.
Group Editor • Palm Beach Media Group • West Palm Beach, FL
January 2020-April 2020
Oversaw custom publications division (Florida East coast) at state’s largest magazine publishing company. Directed print media and digital content for several organizations, including The Breakers, the Arts Council of the Palm Beaches, Jupiter Medical Center and others as part of their marketing efforts. Also produced a relocation guide distributed by east coast Realtors. Worked from a one-man Tampa office. Position eliminated (because of coronavirus outbreak).
Managing Editor • American Association for Physician Leadership • Tampa, FL
September 2016-May 2019
Oversaw operations of the association’s print and digital media products, to showcase its mission, drive business and inform members of industry trends and practical information. Spotlighted the work of members in 40 countries. AAPL supports physician leaders through education, career guidance and thought leadership, helping them gain and keep leadership roles in health care.
• Edited and published award-winning bimonthly magazine, the Physician Leadership Journal. Led redesign and reorganization, from a collection of doctor-submitted manuscripts into an association-sustaining, peer-reviewed member amenity.
• Launched Physician Leadership News, an online multimedia newsfeed and archive of information health care CEOs, chief medical officers and physician leaders can use to manage their organizations. Quadrupled daily traffic to the site from previous version.
• Conceived, edited and published print and digital white papers to support thought leadership.
• Harnessed organization’s social media to boost traffic coming to digital and print products.
• Led review and publication of the association’s book publishing division.
Editor • AAA | The Auto Club Group • Tampa, FL
June 2012-September 2016
Content marketing strategist, team leader and project manager for one of the world’s most recognized brands, serving more than 9 million members in 11 states and two territories.
• Coordinated and produced multimedia material for AAA.com, its related verticals and AAA Living magazine (circulation 5.5 million), reinforcing brand voice of benefits and services.
• Managed social media channels for Southeastern states (Florida, Georgia and Tennessee) and ACG’s travel agency, engaging and informing more than 45,000 followers.
• Worked cross-functionally with business units and enterprise leadership to develop regional travel and financial content that aligned with corporate goals.
• Led editorial projects that sustained more than $1 million in annual revenue, including a long-standing partnership with Visit Florida, the state’s tourism marketing organization.
• Transformed magazine from overt promotional product into an engaging member amenity that generated revenue (including one project that led to $744,000 in sales).
• Developed content strategies and vehicles to attract new business and support existing relationships with prime travel and leisure advertisers.
Editor • Palm Beach Media Group • West Palm Beach, FL
June 2002-January 2012
Director, strategic planner and project leader for leading publisher of luxury lifestyle media. Delivered high-quality products on time and within budget for internal and external stakeholders.
• Innovated custom publishing division, producing annual magazines and digital media for blue-chip hospitality and tourism clients as a key partner in their marketing strategies. Clients included The Breakers, the Mar-a-Lago Club, Longboat Key Club & Resort, Naples Grande Beach Resort, Ponte Vedra Inn & Club and others. Also prospected new clients, including Biltmore (Asheville, NC), Innisbrook Golf Resort (Palm Harbor, FL) and Jack Nicklaus Golf Communities (national).
• Launched and led a major-market monthly magazine and website (Tampa Bay Illustrated), establishing it as the dominant publication in its niche within 12 months of its premiere.
• Created new media, including annual relocation and philanthropy guides, by working with relevant organizations and key audiences to deliver useful and profitable products.
• Served on marketing team in many ad hoc capacities. Produced advertising and promotional material, led special projects, and wrote as the brand voice of the company’s publications.
• Established search-engine optimization protocols for all divisions, enabling company to improve position of its websites in Google results by 60% or more.
• Built consumer and business relationships, including national media. Managed financials, content and talent (staff and contractors), enforced production schedules, and more.
Sports Editor • Knight Ridder • Bradenton, FL
August 2001-June 2002
Senior team leader at Bradenton Herald, overseeing multimedia coverage of regional news and events for a major publishing company in a highly competitive market. Directed team of 11 through period of industry change, helping staff embrace innovation while focusing on department and company goals. Supported national wire service and regional broadcast partners under relentless daily deadlines. Nurtured inexperienced team members, and developed talent of experienced staffers. Responsible for setting strategic direction of digital and print plans.
Director of Communications • Paradigm Learning • Tampa, FL
February 2000-March 2001
Media relations specialist for an international corporate training company, leading its evolution into digital audience connections. Managed and produced external publications (white papers, case studies, news releases, etc.) and online newsroom to serve national and industry media. Created some product content (corporate training programs, employee communication tools, educational curricula), marketing collateral, print and online advertising, and other creative. Devised system to cut RFP response time by half. Work attributed to $600,000 in revenue.
Multimedia Journalist • Media General • Tampa, FL
August 1986-February 2000
Writer, editor, manager and problem-solver for Florida’s largest converged, multiplatform new operation (Tampa Tribune, TBO.com, WFLA-TV). Assistant sports editor overseeing content planning and production, allocation of staff and financials for teams of up to 42, and coverage of major events (Olympics, World Cups, more). Worked with other business units to launch and lead new products, including a popular weekly magazine and sponsor-supported initiatives. Helped create and integrate online division and partnerships with TV/radio broadcast affiliates.
• Consultant, 2001-present, J Davis Media. Work with organizations to strengthen communication, including Lifestyle Media Group (Fort Lauderdale, FL), MindPower Performance (Tampa, FL), Prodigy Internet Services (White Plains, NY), North Carolina Public TV (Charlotte, NC) and Susie Films (Charlotte, NC).
• Speaker, 1996-present. Presenter for business groups and conferences about publishing, newsgathering and current events. Master of ceremonies for corporate charity events. Lecturer at University of South Florida on niche media.
• Talking head, 1999-present. Numerous radio and TV appearances, providing expert insight on current events.
• Correspondent, 1987-2002. Writer for the Associated Press, United Press International, New York Times, Miami Herald and other news outlets.
• Book editor, 1999. Editor of Pep: The Fun, Full Life of a Man With Heart, by Tom McEwen.
• College: University of Florida, College of Journalism and Communications.
• Continuing: 130 hours of leadership and assorted management education.
• Bronze Award: 2018, American Society of Healthcare Publication Editors, Physician Leadership Journal; 2015, Association Media and Publishing, AAA Living
• Award of Distinction: 2016, Academy of Interactive and Visual Arts, AAA Living
• Gold Award: 2015, MarCom, digital magazine, AAA Living; 2015, Hermes Creative Awards, print, AAA Living; 2014, MarCom, association magazine, AAA Living.
• Platinum Award: Hermes Creative Awards, 2015, digital magazine, AAA Living; 2014, print and digital magazines, AAA Living; 2014, MarCom, digital magazine, AAA Living.
• Grand Award: Communications Concepts (Apex Awards), 2014, digital magazine, AAA Living.
• FMA Awards: Florida Magazine Association, 2013, 18 staff awards, Going Places; 2012, 10 staff awards, Going Places.
• Production Award: Print Association of Florida, 2006, Mar-a-Lago: The Jewel of Palm Beach, Palm Beach Media Group.
• Best Sports Section: Associated Press, 2001, Top 20 daily and special, Bradenton Herald; 1999, Top 10 daily, top 20 special, Tampa Tribune.
• Nation’s Best Special Section: Inland Press Association, 1999. “Final Four,” Tampa Tribune.
• SPJ Award: Society of Professional Journalists, 1997, regional outstanding achievement; 1990, national writing, second place, opinion, third place, features.
American Society of Healthcare Publication Editors
Associated Press Sports Editors
International Association of Business Communicators
Patel Foundation for Global Understanding
Public Relations Society of America
Society of Professional Journalists
Kansas City Barbeque Society